This is the documenation for the Japano webapplication toolkit. A copy of this documenation is included in the japano distribution.
Japano is a light-weight toolkit based on JSP/Servlets which enables you to develop web applications in java and JSP. It has the following features:
- Metadata based configuration, generation. Support for either Java1.5 annotations or XJavadoc metadata
- Easy user-defined custom Tags, "output" tags and some predefined custom tags.
Japano MVC engine featuring
- Easy interface based, user-defined MVC actions
- Reflective action parametrization
- Automatic HTML form tag creation
- Declarative validation for action parameters/HTML form fields.
JSP compiler/engine featuring
- New page model
- Simpler yet more powerful custom tag API
- (X)HTML compression
- Compiled JSP expressions
- Partial page generation
- Standard JSP tag support
- Handling for lots of common problems in webapps
- Support for JSON output.
When developing web applications with japano you will deal mostly with three types of documents:
- PageNodes - Java sources defining a custom tag used to output into JSP documents.
- Actions - Java sources defining operations that may change the user's session.
- JSP documents containing HTML tags, custom tags and Expressions
- a Java SDK ( e.g. SUN JDK)
- a Servlet container (e.g. ( e.g. Tomcat)
- The ant build tool
- a good JSP-Editor. ( e.g. Netbeans )
Although you can edit JSP documents even with notepad it is nice to have more sophisticated tools for that.